May 10 was just an ordinary day. My husband went to work, I went through the craziness that is preschool mornings, and I went about my day. Grocery shopping, cleaning, going to the gym, taking the kids here and there. And then I got a text from my mom that read : “Happy anniversary to you and Mike! Love, mom.” The first thing that ran through my head was: holy shit!! We forgot our anniversary. I then quickly texted my hubby a happy anniversary text-(by that point we had both received the text from my mom and realized we had both forgotten). And I also said, “we totally suck.” Amazing right? And it’s our 5th wedding anniversary. It’s true that we are celebrating this weekend with a mini getaway so maybe in our minds that’s why we forgot. Or maybe we were just so busy with work, kids, etc that it just slipped our minds. Or maybe we just suck. Hard to believe we’d BOTH forget such an important day. I actually had made plans to go out to dinner with one of my girlfriends and had to cancel. I mean, what kind of wife goes out without her husband on her anniversary? My girlfriend for sure must have thought I was lying. I mean, who would really do that??
So in honor of our 5 years as a married couple, I thought I would dedicate this post to my husband. I’d like to share with you 5 things that I love about him for our 5th anniversary. Quite honestly, I could name so many things that I love about him. I am very lucky to have married such a wonderful man. But for brevity’s sake, and because it’s fitting, I’ll stick to 5.
1. Mike is very, very, very, (insert like 1000 more verys here) kind. I mean almost to a fault sometimes. As the saying goes, he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. And he extends this kindness to everyone. Family, friends, colleagues, neighbors, complete strangers…I really don’t how how you can’t like this guy. If you don’t, I’m pretty sure there’s something wrong with you. He goes out of his way for people all the time. He extends a helping hand constantly. He’s one of the good ones, for sure.
2. He doesn’t sweat the small stuff. Mike is calm. Sometimes eerily so. (And sometimes annoyingly so- but that’s a different post.) He is the yin to my yang. When my head is flying and smoke is about to come out of my ears, I see how calm he is and it has a calming effect on me. (most of the time) I see him in stressful situations all the time, and he handles them like a pro. Or like he’s on qualudes. Either way, it works. I wish I could be more like that.
3. He makes me feel completely safe. And I don’t mean this in a “I’m a helpless weak little girl and I need a strong man around” kinda way. I mean, he makes me feel secure. And settled. And calm. For the longest time, I had a sense of restlessness that is hard to explain-and he is the only one that has been able to put that at ease. I am at peace because of him. I’m safe. And I also know he’ll beat the crap out of anyone who messes with me or my kids, so there’s that, too…
4. That man has swagger. Seriously. His style is ridiculous. I have met my match where that’s concerned. I don’t know many men who could pull off things like neon orange pants, crazy spiked out hair and thick-framed nerdy glasses, but he does. I love that I can buy him something outrageous and he’ll be like “ok, I’ll try it.” He’s totally adventurous with his style, and that’s really fun. I actually think he should start a blog about it. I’d totally read it.
5. Holy. Amazing. Father. Mike was born to be a dad. Really. When he’s with his kids, you can tell how crazy he is about them by the look on his face. He adores them. He’s silly with them. He puts them on his back and crawls around like a horse, even though I know his back is killing him. When he gets home late from work and he doesn’t get to see them for the entire day, he’s heartbroken. He loves to bring them home treats like little cookies or cupcakes. He is always asking how they are throughout the day. He gives great piggyback rides. He’s teaching them to swim. And his favorite place in the world is cuddling with both of them on the couch watching a movie. There, he is in heaven.
So there you have it. I hope this, in some small way, makes up for my forgetting our anniversary. Happy Anniversary, love, and many more. xoxoxo